How I Dropped a Dress Size Without Dieting

* Update August 2016- I am now down 3 dress sizes. I am still within a healthy BMI and my weight is now maintaining. I am keeping up with the healthy habits below and I am feeling better than ever.

Since Christmas I have been aiming to get healthier. I felt that since it had been 9 months after giving birth and not breastfeeding Ailsa as much I should really think about getting that little bit of excess weight off and get back to a body that I was happy with. Over the past few months I have quite a few small changes. Nothing noticeably drastic but enough to get me down a dress size and back to my pre pregnancy size. In fact I didn’t overly realise I was loosing weight until one day when Ailsa gripped my jeans to help her stand and they ended up around my ankles whilst I was standing in the kitchen I then realised I had to go buy smaller jeans.

So what are the changes that I have made:-

1. Stopped taking sugar in my tea
This was easier than I expected it to be. I have only been a tea drinker for around 5 years and have always had 2 sugars per cup. Since before Christmas I gradually cut this down by half a teaspoon every week or so till I took none at all and now I am so used to tea without sugar it tastes weird having it. I was having several cups of tea a day so this has really cut down on my daily sugar intake.

2. Drink more Green Tea and Herbal Tea
I have also been trying to swap my black tea for green and herbal tea like chamomile. Since I don’t add milk to these I have cut down on the calorie intake from the milk I add to my black tea. I know it won’t be making a huge difference but it all adds up.

3. Stop drinking squash
When I was working in an office I would drink water all day long, We had a water machine which meant we had access to nice cold filtered water. At home we would always have squash and hubby and I would go through 2 of the 1.5 litre bottles every couple of weeks. I have made a conscious effort to go back to drinking just plain water and trying to make sure I drink several pints a day.

4. Get out walking
Exercise has never been  my strong suit but since Ailsa was born James would take the car to work so I had no excuse but to walk everywhere. Recently I have been making more of an effort to head out for a walk even if we don’t have anywhere specifically to go and I try and walk the long way into town and back to get in more miles. I will even walk to the supermarket to meet James after work rather than him picking Ailsa and I up on the way. I have been keeping track of my miles and I am aiming to try and get somewhere between 3 and 4 miles of walking a day if the weather is nice enough. I do this whilst walking through town or taking Ailsa to the library.

5. Being more conscious of what I am eating
James and I always try to eat healthily especially now Ailsa is eating what we eat. We try and eat lots of vegetables and have cut down on the amount of meat and dairy we were having. Limiting cheese has been quite hard but we have found if we don’t buy it then we don’t notice that its not there. I am also trying not to snack more than necessary through the day and have made healthy flapjacks from the Deliciously Ella cookbook.

These 5 relatively small changes have helped me drop a dress size in the last 3 months or so and without overly trying to loose weight. Now the aim is to start doing some proper exercise and toning up routines. I don’t have time or money for a gym membership so I will be doing what I can from home. There are some fab exercise routines on Youtube that I am aiming to make the most of. My favourites are Tone It Up and Blogilates, I have been doing their routines for years and know that I enjoy them.

Is there anyone else I should check out? Any tips for toning?

Brilliant blog posts on HonestMum.com

Keep Calm and Carry On Linking Sunday

11 Comments

1. April 15, 2016 / 10:17 pm

Some fantastic tips here, though I've started off on the diet track it is definitely the little things adding up that make the big differences!

2. Fern
    April 16, 2016 / 1:22 am

This is really motivating for me! I'm also hoping to lose a bit of weight (my baby is 10 months old and I feel like I still look pregnant). I have just started walking every day, and am also cutting right back on sugar.
    I've been at it for three weeks and so far I haven't noticed much of a difference in my weight, so it's really great to know that you've had some success. Fingers crossed that my pants will be falling down in three months time too!

3. April 16, 2016 / 7:27 am

It's a slow process but it really has worked and they are such small changes I haven't really noticed and it's just become habit. I think it's a case of everything in moderation too. We had pizza for dinner last night but today we may have salad or something so it all balances out. Let me know how you get on in the coming months. X

4. April 17, 2016 / 5:41 pm

Grear tips. I think I might give green tea a try & now it's lighter in the evening definitely want to up my walking. #kcacols lifeinthemumslane

5. Baby Anon
    April 17, 2016 / 7:12 pm

Brilliant advice. Mother found that just giving up bread has had a big impact on her tummy. It's not so bloated now x #KCACOLS

6. April 18, 2016 / 2:13 am

Fantastic tips for weight loss and health generally. I'm working on drinking more water and your post reminds me I should drink more tea as well. Found your post at #KCACOLS

Nicole | The Professional Mom Project

7. April 18, 2016 / 7:35 pm

Good for you – diets don't work but real tangible life changes do. #KCACOLS

8. The Pramshed
    April 20, 2016 / 4:14 pm

Well done you on dropping a dress size! These are really good tips and changes to make to your diet and lifestyle without the need for complicated and faffy diets. I love how you gave up sugar in your tea, that is such a good way to instantly reduce your sugar intake. I gave up sugar in my tea two years ago, as I realised that I was eating about 10 teaspoons of sugar a day. I've never looked back, but I do still really like a nice cup of tea when my Mum accidently adds a sugar to it. Walking is brilliant too, and it's free! Walking 3 to 4 miles a day is really good going, and you must feel so much better for it. I wish you all the luck with the exercises and toning up, and sticking to your resolutions. Thanks so much for linking up at #KCACOLS. Hope you come back next Sunday. Claire x

9. April 21, 2016 / 1:29 pm

There are some really good tips here. I find it hard to stick to a 'diet' as such, and find I crave more bad stuff when I am trying to diet, so lifestyle changes like the ones you list here sound really helpful. What you mention about squash is interesting – my boyfriend and I drink a lot of sugar free squash at home, but I'm wondering if I should cut it down! #KCACOLS

10. April 21, 2016 / 1:33 pm

Well done on dropping a dress size. I had my daughter 10 weeks ago and I am back to my pre pregnancy weight but I think thats down to breastfeeding. I love green tea so drink lots of that as well xx

#KCACOLS

11. April 21, 2016 / 10:48 pm

Well done! I really struggle with my sweet tooth and complete lazyness when it comes to cooking so despite working out really hard my diet is hindering progress somewhat! #kcacols